Wednesday, February 4, 2009

BAC Results

The BAC met at 4:00 PM on Wednesday afternoon to review concerns that people had about the test.

The committee reviewed all of the comments that people turned into me on paper and via email. After meeting the committee brought three questions to me for consideration.

Question #8 (green test-2) #12 (blue test-1)

This question is not clearly worded. Several people asked me questions about this question during the exam and I told them to answer the question one way. When I rereade the question after the exam I saw that there was a justifiable different way to interpret the question.

Thus, for this question both answers a and d will receive credit

Question # 23 (green test-2) #26 (blue test-1)

Cryptic coloration is an adaptation to either capturing prey, catching prey or both. I don't think that cryptic coloration has anything to do with attracting mates (how could being hard to see be a good tactic for attracting a mate?). Thus, I clearly think that answer d is the best answer. However, when I cut and pasted the question from form 1 to form 2 answer e was deleted from form 2. Thus, students taking the blue test had the option to pick a wrong answer that was not available to the students who took the blue test which is unfair.

Thus, for this question I will award credit for both answers d and e

Question #12 (green tetst-2) #8 (blue test-1)
The key phrase in the paragraph associated with this question is " scientists have documented that healthier males are able to produce longer eyestalks than those produced by less healthy males". This sentence tells me that large eyestalks are a signal of health. Thus, females who choose to mate with males with large eyestalks should pass on those genes for "good health" to their offspring (both sons and daughters). Thus, I consider answer d to be the best answer.

Many students thought that females should benefit from producing sons that were better at mating. It is possible that if her sons remained healthy for their whole life that they would produce traits that would make them popular with females. However, this is not as likely as producing healthy sons and daughters.

The key in answering this question is to choose the best answer. If the female is mating with a male with "healthy" genes then these genes should be expressed in both sons and daughters. Thus, I might have awarded credit for an answer that said a, b, and c were true, but because that was not an option.

Thus, only answer d will receive credit.

I would like to thank all members of the BAC for taking an hour out of their day to try to make sure that the testing process is as fair as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment